last update, 20th May 2021
Table of Contents
- What personal information we collect
- Collection and use of personal information
- Disclosure of personal information to third parties
- How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
- Your rights and controlling your personal information
- Storage and security
- Cookies and web beacons
- Links to other websites
What personal information we collect
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
your contact details, including name, email address and/or telephone number;
- your estimated age;
- your credit card or payment details (via our third-party payment processors like STRIPE) – only for the use of payment for our service, which you will explicitly approve
- your preferences and/or opinions;
- information you provide to us, including for example, through answering surveys, providing feedback, entering a competition or attending an event;
- any information that your employer may provide to us, for example, information relating to your position, your direct reports.
- Other sensitive information we may have of you is set out below; details of products and services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about, so we (or our customers using our service) can respond to you;
- If you provide feedback at a RateIt tablet, the service may temporarily use anonymised images of you – this ensures it is genuine customer feedback. By using this service, you understand we may use anonymised facial-recognition ‘faceid’ solely for the purposes of ensuring there is only one response per person. This ‘faceid’ data is anonymised, is not shared with anyone and is only used for the purpose of validating it is a genuine rating. Once that has been established as genuine, this ‘faceid’ data is automatically deleted from our service. If you would like more information about this, please contact us via our details below;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, referral sites, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
- information about your access and use of the Site, including through the use of internet cookies, your communications with the Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of the Site, associated applications, associated social media platforms, associated single sign-on information and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you, third parties or a number of different sources.
Collection and use of personal information
Any personal information we have will only be used for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use this website and our applications
- to contact and communicate with you;
- for internal record keeping, administrative purposes, invoicing and billing purposes;
- for analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve this website, associated applications;
- to run competitions, complete surveys, provide feedback and/or offer additional benefits to you (if you agree to participate);
- if you have opted in, we will use your details for advertising and marketing purposes as an example – to keep you updated about our new products and services;
- to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have; and
- to consider your employment application.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- companies at which you have left a rating, for the purpose of understanding their customers;
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- your employer if you are providing information for an employer-related purpose;
- sponsors or promoters of any competitions we run;
- anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you;
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
You acknowledge that some overseas third parties may not be regulated by the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act, and if any third party engages in any act or practice that contravenes the Australian Privacy Principles, it would not be accountable under the Privacy Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act.
How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
Sensitive information is a sub-set of personal information that is given a higher level of protection under the Australian Privacy Principles. Sensitive information means information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional associations or memberships, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, health information or biometric information.
The type of sensitive information we may collect about you – only with our RateIt survey devices – includes:
- biometric information
We will not collect sensitive information about you without first obtaining your consent.
Provided you consent, your sensitive information may only be used and disclosed for purposes relating to the primary purpose for which the sensitive information was collected, including:
- providing services for a purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose for which the sensitive information was collected and
- anonymised data analytics purposes.
Sensitive information may also be used or disclosed if required or authorised by law.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Where possible, we will give you the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym in your dealings with us.
If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below or by clicking the unsubscribe link if it was via an email.
You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information.
If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
If you wish to make a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the complaint. We take every complaint very seriously and will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
As a reminder, you can unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications); please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies and web beacons
It’s worth noting there are three core uses of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Site, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical or performance cookies. These are cookies that allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to the Site and to see how visitors move around the Site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way the Site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Site. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
We may use web beacons on the Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as clear GIFs, pixels etc) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
We may use Analytics tools to collect and process anonymised data. We primarily use Google Analytics; if you would like to learn more about how Google uses this data when on our websites, please see policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites or any other URL Google may use from time to time.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Rate It Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 88 619 791 187)
Email: [email protected]